Tuesday, December 21, 2010

UCC Luncheon




Tuesday, December 21, 2010
Doug and I drove to Dallas, Texas on December 16th to take part in a Christmas luncheon with some friends of mine that I've known for over 30 years. They all worked at University Computing Company on Stemmons Freeway and I was the bartender at The Oaks Restaurant and Supper Club. A lot of these people came to lunch almost every day and this was back in the day when people routinely had a couple of drinks with lunch. Sometimes more and forgot to go back to work. It really was a fun time in those days. Some of them were even written about in my memoir "The Cherokee Advantage" but I didn't identify them by last name. They know who they are!


The luncheon takes place at Dunston's Steak House on Harry Hines Boulevard and is spearheaded by Nancy Long. She does a grand job of keeping tabs on everyone and whats happening in our lives. There have been some deaths, divorces, marriages and remarriages as is normal with any fairly large group of people. Nancy is always quick to get the information out to all of us. I was one of those whose husband died and I remarried.

Doug is so good to adopt my friends and I believe this to be reciprocal as he is well received at these events each year. Most of us don't see each other until the annual Christmas luncheon but it's such a jovial group. Everyone seems genuinely happy to reconnect and reminisce about "the good ole days" when we were all so young and full of vitality. Thanks, Nancy for keeping us together. And, thanks, Doug for taking all the photos. I need to remember to take a shot of you at one of these events!

Merry Christmas everyone!

This is all I have to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment