Thursday, July 22, 2010

Library, PCWNC Newsletters, Shawl, Game Daze, Red Hat Redneck Charity Event

Monday, July 19, 2010
Did two hours of volunteering at the library shelving videos and books. I enjoy doing this so much and the time just flies by.

Afterward, I took the PCWNC newsletters to the bulk mail center and this turned out to be quite an adventure. There were postal inspectors and auditors there looking very closely at everything that was presented for mailing. They told me I was using the wrong forms. I've been using the "wrong" forms for two years now and nobody ever said a word. Okay. I could understand that. Then, they told me I didn't have a proper amount of stickers (two are required) placed exactly one inch in from each side on the top to seal the newsletters. There were several other things to do with the money end of it, but the upshot was they sent me home with all my newsletters to be resealed and new forms to complete.



I have been working on a special shawl to wear during the women's shawl dance in the sacred circle at the pow wow at the Cherokee National Holiday over Labor Day Weekend. It's so exciting to know I will be able to participate in this ritual with my fellow Cherokees. The circle on the back is the official seal of The Cherokee Nation. The fabric bordering the bottom is a wolf print depicting the fact that I am a member of the Wolf Clan. I used Swarovski Crystals to highlight the wolf eyes on the fabric. (See Photo)

Tuesday, July 20, I took my correctly stickered newsletters and forms back to the bulk mail office and was astounded to see about 15 people in that small space. There were postal inspectors, auditors, trainees and trainers as well as, God forbid, customers. All I needed to do was turn in my completed mailing and leave. Alas, this was not to be. They went through the complete process again to train the new hires while I'm standing there needing to be somewhere else. It would appear that the more rigid measures of the post office becomes the higher level of incompetence to which they seem to aspire. There is not a shred of service attitude to be found at any level. I, of course, stood there smiling and nodding like the good girl I am!

Going to the library from there was such a welcome change of pace. I only stayed one hour after spending 40 minutes at the post office. The library is quite caught up this day so I left there and drove out to Gail's Ranch to help work on some projects for the upcoming Red Hat Redneck Charity event for Freedom House.


We took some photos of the swallows nest and it appears there are only two eggs in this setting. One can only assume that the six before must have worn out Mr. & Mrs. Swallow to the point they decided to cut back before starting their long journey back to Argentina.

Thursday, July 22, I went to the Solis Center for my annual mammogram. When the technician had me turn a certain way she said, "This one will hurt a little." When she was finished I told her, "I'm sure glad I'm not a puppy."

Friday, July 23, drove to Alta Fisher's home to take part in Game Daze and a covered dish luncheon. Had a lot of fun playing Phase 10 while others played "42" dominoes and another domino game called "95". Still others played Polish Rummy. We all had a great time and the food, as always, was delicious. I drove home to pick up Doug and we went to Couts Methodist Church in Weatherford to help set up the gym for the Red Hat Redneck event. This was a big job, but the gym looks great and I believe the people will know they've been to a redneck affair.

Saturday, July 24, the day has finally arrived for our event. Drove back to the church this morning and helped put the finishing touches on decorations. We also practiced the songs we are going to sing and met with Cousin Jelvis (our star attraction), Elvis' sixth cousin, once removed. He has a wonderful voice and I think he'll be a lot of fun tonight. I'm doing a rap number to "Boom Boom Ain't it Great to be Crazy." Our redneck band made all their own instruments and we are called the "Git-R-Dun Gals."

It is 5:00 p.m. and people started arriving at 4:30. Many of them really got into the redneck theme. We had a bride, a lady with clothes hung on her walker (underwear and such), short ragged jean shorts (they looked great!) with western shirts, boots and cowboy hats, duct taped shorts, and plenty of bib overalls with tee shirts. Snacks were cheese and crackers, Ding Dongs, olives in balogna baskets, salami slices, pig skins, and tiny cups of "moonshine" water. We didn't want anyone to overimbibe. Dinner was barbecue brisket and chicken with all the trimmings catered by Mesquite Pit Barbecue in Weatherford. There were several photo ops beginning with outside where an old truck with huge wheels on it was parked and we also had the Dukes of Hazzard car, "General Lee", on hand. Inside we had a laundry area with a wringer washing machine, wooden ironing board, a clothesline of clothes including red long johns and granny sitting in an oval galvanized tub. There was also a barbecue set up with labeled "Redneck Charcoal" to use and old lawn chairs and such. In another corner was a flower "pot" garden with pink flamingos and the whole thing lit up with Christmas lights.

Our entertainer, Cousin Jelvis, was excellent and we had a great time with him along with the Git-R-Dun Gals and plenty of Karaoke as well as line dancing. Everyone went home with a door prize of some kind and we had a good reaction to our silent auction benefiting Freedom House. We sold just about everything in our Red Hat redneck yard sale. Selma Johnson, representing Freedom House, made a brief speech about the organization, thanking us for benefiting them with our event. You should have seen us tearing everything down when it was over. I bet it didn't take us over 45 minutes and the place looked like we'd never even been there. That's Red Hat team work for you plus Queen Gabigail's wonderful Prince Gary who is the hardest working man I know. I must also give kudos to my honey, Doug, who photographed the whole event taking over 500 shots so it was hard to decide which photos to publish on the blog.

The first photo below (1) is of Selma Johnson from Freedom House. On the left below (2) is Carla doing her granny rap and on the right (3) is Doug singing Karaoke. (4) Group photo op in the laundry area; (5) Cousin Jelvis presenting a scarf; (6) a very creative costume; (7) Queen Gabigail cooling off Jelvis, and last, but not least (8) a redneck attendee (Carla's son). As you can see, there were just too many photos to choose from so hope you get the flavor of the event from these.

This is all I have to say for now.















































No comments:

Post a Comment