Sunday, July 18, 2010

Canasta, Library, Red Hat, PCWNC Bd. Meeting, Radio Interview


Sunday, July 18, 2010
Another week has flown by like a cyclone. Time is definitely the enemy these days. To catch up, on Monday July 12, I joined the girls to play Canasta and have lunch at Antonio's. Then, on Tuesday I served my regular volunteer time at the library shelving books and videos. Those two hours really fly by quickly also. Just as I was leaving to go to the library, I spotted this lovely Eastern Tiger Swallowtail butterfly flitting about the Phlox in our front flower bed. I called Doug to take photos and above is the result.

Wednesday, July 14, I drove to Gail's ranch to help prepare goodie bags for our upcoming Redneck charity event for Freedom House. We also practiced our songs and our redneck band instruments. I made a recipe of Confetti Salad as my contribution to our luncheon. We had a great time and we are all looking forward to a grand event on July 24th.

Thursday, July 15, I went to our PCWNC Board Meeting at Alicia Pittman's home. She has such a lovely home and every time you go there you must sign her guest book. I don't know if this is a Mississippi (she's from there) tradition or just her own idea of logging history for future reference, but I think it's an excellent idea. We took care of business, visited and had some lovely refreshments including a wonderful coffee punch that Alicia prepared. Afterward, several of us decided to go to lunch at Agave's in Aledo. The food was quite good, the shopping even better and we continued the visiting we started at Alicia's home. I came home and began finishing up the PWCNC newsletter for August.


I received my on-line issue of The Cherokee Phoenix newspaper and was thrilled to see my nephew's photo on the front page. He is acting in a play, "Under the Cherokee Moon" playing the part of Lt. Timberlake (third from left). His name is Bryan Crittenden and he lives in Ft. Gibson and works for the Cherokee Nation. Oddly enough, my dearest friend in Dallas was born a Timberlake in Oklahoma and she always told me she was part Cherokee, God rest her soul. It is indeed a small world, isn't it?

Friday, July 16, Jan Barrow asked to borrow (does the name fit?) Doug to help her with photos on her computer and in return invited us to have lunch with her and Bill. It was a lovely Irish luncheon of meat and potatoes and wilted green salad with peach cobbler and ice cream for dessert that Jan made from home grown peaches. Absolutely scrumptious, it was! In the afternoon, Doug and I took the newsletter to Office Max for printing and bought a new electric pencil sharpener while we were waiting for the print job to finish. If you need printing done, I highly recommend Office Max in Weatherford, Texas. They do an excellent job for me.

Saturday July 17, had a radio interview with Linda Bagwell concerning my book "The Cherokee Advantage." Her program, "Books 'n Authors" airs on KYQZ-FM, 89.5 on your radio dial. It is a Weatherford station that goes out to all of Parker County. It was a lovely interview and I'm looking forward to talking with Linda again in September. When I left there, I went by The Copper Pumpkin and in talking with the owner about my interview, she asked me to place some of my books in her establishment to sell. These will be available there on August 1st.

I am happy to report that I have finally finished "Ride the Wind" by Lucia St. Clair Robson. If you enjoy reading, do consider this book. She is especially descriptive and creates great characters to interact with. I know I've told you before, but it is the story of the kidnapping of Cynthia Ann Parker and her brother and the last days of the Cheyenne Indian Nation in Texas. Just an absolutely stunning piece of writing.

I am now reading "Dewey" by Vicki Myron with Bret Witter. This is a true story about a tabby cat that changed a library, a town and even touched the world. He lived 19 years after being found by Vicki in the library return bin one very cold, snowy morning in Spencer, Iowa. He was a tiny kitten with frost bitten paws and immediately won the hearts of just about everyone who worked in the library. This book was brought to my attention by a PCWNC member, Charlene Ball and she tells me it is being made into a movie. I'm just on page 77 of this 277 page book, but it won't take me long to read it because it is quite well written.

This is all I have to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment