Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Twins, library, books, nature, recipe




Monday, June 28, 2010
Drove to the Weatherford Library this morning and shelved books and various other chores for two hours. Also took the Dewey Decimal System training on the computer. I got an 80 and two 90's on my test score so that's not too bad. I think I'll get better at it just doing it.

We drove to Taylor and Jennifer's ( see photo) for pizza and cookie cake dessert in celebration of finally finding out that the expected great grand twins are boys. Well, we were sort of hoping for one of each, but we'll take what God has decreed and be happy. At this point they weigh about one-half pound each and are very healthy according to the doctor. We haven't had any babies in the family for a while so this is very exciting for everyone. By the way, they are not identical so it will be amazing to see the finished product come early November. When we got home, I discovered the yard man, Marco, had finished putting our big bird fountain together. Just a few finishing touches and it will be in operation again. I'm thrilled, but I know the birds will be happy to have a place to cool off in the heat all summer.

Update: The swallows appear to be refurbishing their nest so we will probably get one more setting this year.

Today is Tuesday, June 29 and I drove to the library and gave my two hours of volunteer work. Mostly, I shelved DVD's and CD's. It started raining just as I was going to my car to come home. This is good because we really need the rain. When I got home, I noticed a branch of one of the butterfly bushes in the front flower garden on the lawn. I walked over and bent to pick it up when out of the corner of my eye, I saw a garter snake about 4 feet long. He was beautifully colored in green with yellow stripes running the length of his body. Needless to say I was somewhat unnerved by his appearance. He slithered off under the shrubbery so guess he'll hang around to eat bugs and mice. I resolve to be more alert when weeding in my flower garden from now on.

Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Since I'm about 60 pages into this new book I'm writing, I thought it would be beneficial to read a book that came to my attention. It is "The Art and Craft of Writing Historical Fiction" by James Alexander Thom, author of "Follow the River". For anyone now writing or planning to write historical fiction, I highly recommend this book. Mr. Thom writes in a wonderful way that makes you want to learn. Now that I have this information in my brain, I find I must go back to what I've written thus far and make some major changes. Mr. Thom's book can be found on Amazon.com.

I am currently reading "Ride the Wind" by Lucia St. Clair Robson. This is a 600 page paperback in small print about Cynthia Ann Parker and the Last Days of the Comanche. I'm a little over 400 pages into it and hate to put it down, but even with my new eyesight after the cataract surgery, the small print wearies my eyes. This is a marvelous work of historical fiction based on the kidnapping of Cynthia Ann Parker in Texas by the Comanche Indians and the final days of this tribe as a free people. Every time I pick it up to read a few chapters, I'm immediately transported to that place in time because Ms. Robson is such a delicious writer. She puts one right into the thick of tribal life and I find it difficult to pull myself back to reality when I must do other things. There are hardbound copies of this book (it was actually published in 1982), which I haven't investigated as to print size so, if you decide to look for it on Amazon.com, you might want to look into this. Do get this book. You won't be sorry.

Friday, July 2, 2010
I spent the day cooking for Russ' 4th of July party, which actually happens on July 3rd. I made a quadruple recipe of Confetti Salad and a triple recipe of Texas Beans. Below is the recipe for the beans. They are quite tasty.

Texas Beans recipe by Gloria Palmer of The Palmerosa Ranch

1 lb pinto beans
1 lb thin sliced bacon, cut into 1" pieces
1 package taco seasoning
1 large cooking spoon catsup
1 large cooking spoon barcecue sauce
2 tablespoons minced garlic
1 8 oz can tomato sauce

Soak beans overnight in water. Drain, combine with all ingredients and add water to cover. Cook until tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment