Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Budding Artist

July 29, 2014

It seems that every other person I meet in New Mexico is an artist in one medium or another. My mother took oil painting classes at a local college in Oklahoma where she lived when she was in her late sixties and she had talent. She eventually talked my brother, Wes, into acrylic painting and he painted some beautiful Arizona desert scenes, one of which I have hanging on the wall in my living room. Wes kept telling me that I should try it because he thought I would be a good painter.

I started out taking basic drawing lessons from Penny Espiritu in her Le Spirit Art Shop on New York Avenue in Alamogordo, New Mexico. This went well so I started taking acrylic painting lessons from her and we started out painting a New Mexico sunset (they are absolutely phenomenal). She did not tell me when we began that sunsets are most difficult to paint so I plunged ahead in full confidence that I could do this.

Below is my first result. Feel free to make any constructive comments. I am, of course, still in the learning stage, but I'm determined to master this medium and go on to others. As you will note, I was not happy with the end result. I just felt the blue color was a disconnect on the clouds as well as the other mountain range. See the changes in the second painting.

"Delicious Sunset" by CCC 

"Delicious Sunset" updated by CCC
Thanks to Douglas A. Kerr, Photographer, for both shots of my first painting.

This is all I have to say for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment