Friday, July 5, 2013

Odds and Ends

Friday, July 5, 2013

Just a report to keep you up-do-date on the ongoing happenings at the Kerr household. Doug decided to fulfill my request for updating the fireplace screen. It was a worn brass color and I decided it needed some pizzazz added to it. Doug went through all the process of scrubbing it with Comet. Then used steel wool to get the pitted areas smoothed out. Once it was rinsed and dried, he spray painted it a bright orange.

This is the before photo
This truly brings out the color of the brick and brightens the room
Thanks Doug, for a fabulous job. I'm a happy woman, grateful for your intense labor in achieving this great result.

An update on books I've read since I last reported: Actually, I'll start with one I'm currently reading that I highly recommend although I'm only half way through the book. It is "The Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America" written by Douglas Brinkley. Mr. Brinkley gives one a wonderful insight into the workings of TR's thought process, his feelings and emotions and his absolute love for this great country of ours. I'm calling him "TR" because he hated to be called "Teddy" and although he is deceased, I must respect this great man's wishes. There are many monuments, forests, animal sanctuaries including the bird population that we would not have that would have led to the extinction of many creatures,  were it not for TR's deep love of the of the great outdoors and the critters that populate it. Be aware, it is a thick book so be prepared to settle in for the long haul. You won't be sorry.

Just finished reading "My Beloved World" by Sonia Sotomayor, Supreme Court Justice from Brooklyn. When you read this book, you can't help but fall in love with this woman. She is well grounded in her thought process and possesses unsurpassed empathy with fellow humans and the human condition as it relates to our current lifetimes. I am convinced that she and I could become good friends should the occasion arise for us to meet.  She comes from people filled with love and sorrow, laughter and happiness, broken and then healed relationships all happening as one could imagine within the confines of family. She was born with unusually high intelligence and childhood diabetes. It was this combination that caused her to grow up more quickly than other children because her survival depended on her taking charge of this disease. I predict that you will grow to like Sonia Sotomayor when you read this book. I highly recommend it to you.

A really fun book to read is "Nora 102 1/2: A Lesson on Aging Well" by June Shaw. This book is written by Nora's daughter June and is about a family with longevity in their genes. Nora was caregiver to her mother, Marie, until she passed at age 99. When Nora turned 100, she began counting the halves saying it was important to recognize age in this manner. Nora got a new lease on life after Marie died, started walking everywhere, joined Weight Watchers, took line dancing lessons, etc. I believe her secret to such a long life was due to her ability to keep moving and her recognition of the necessity of this motion to keep her alive and vivacious. She used her age wherever necessary to sometimes do outrageous things that will make you laugh out loud. We can all receive life lessons from this outstanding woman. You will be glad you read this book.

There are probably 15 or more books that I have read lately, but these are my top choices, well written and about real people, entertaining and educational as well.

Thanks to Doug for the photos of the fire place screen.

This is all I have to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment