Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Newsletters, Swallows, Library, Eye Doctor, Recipe

Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Monday was a busy day in that I had volunteer training at the Weatherford Public Library. Went from there to the post office to bulk mail the PCWNC newsletters of which I am editor and publisher. From there I drove to the College Park care facility to take a newsletter to Faye Ure, one of our staunch supporters in the women's club. By the time I got home one of the swallows had already flown from the nest and two more followed thereafter. However, they all came back to the nest for the night. Today, four of them ventured out, but not too far. As you can see in the photos, three of them stayed most of the day on the patio on the cow head horns and a potted plant. They are just so incredibly beautiful and we have truly enjoyed watching them mature. I'm sure there will be another setting before long.
























Doug and I spent the afternoon creating a video for my book campaign. This is in a question and answer type forum with Doug asking the questions off camera to me. I think it went very well and we wait now to hear from my publicist, Mary Stoddard, with her opinion(s) of how it might be improved.

Today I had an early appointment with Dr. Sholdra, my eye doctor for one last check-up on my right eye. All is well. While there, I finally remembered to take a photo of this character in his waiting room. Isn't this a stitch?


From here I went to the library for my first day of volunteering. I shelved books, videos, and CD's. A lovely lady named Harriet was most helpful in getting me started and she had me doing other small jobs as well for my two hours there. I also presented Dale Fleeger, Director of Library Services, an autographed copy of "The Cherokee Advantage" for the library. I absorbed a myriad of information and I'm looking forward to next Monday when I go again. It was fun!

In the background of all the above was my ongoing search for Girard's Original French Dressing. My son, Russ asked me to make a large amount of this particular recipe for his 4th of July party, called "Confetti Salad" and one necessary ingredient is this dressing. Suddenly, no one in this area has it in stock. I've tried to make this recipe with other salad dressings and it just isn't good. My darling Doug got on the Internet and ordered two cases from the manufacturer so all is not lost. Below is the recipe and you should be able to buy the dressing at Kroger's, Brookshire's or Albertson's.

Confetti Salad

One 12 oz. box vermicelli pasta
One 12 oz. bottle Girard's Original French Dressing (use only 6 ozs. for this recipe)
1/2 cup sweet pickle juice
Two cloves garlic, minced
Two tablespoons poppyseeds
One teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon caraway seed
One bundle green onions, chopped, including tops
One small jar pimentos
Cayenne pepper and salt to taste

Cook vermicelli according to directions on box. Rinse in cold water. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate until well chilled. This is even better the next day when everything has had a chance to blend together.

This is all I have to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment