Monday, May 18, 2015

White Wing Dove Babies in Alamogordo, New Mexico

April 18, 2015

I noticed a lot of activity in the large bush at the front west corner of our home and decided to investigate. What I found was a nest with two rather large white eggs in it. I began checking it every day because by this time I had decided to do a pictorial of the progress of these, what I now knew were white wing dove eggs, having flushed the mother from the nest in my daily checking.

The eggs discovered on 2015.04.18
Do note this nest, quite fragile, which tells us that white wing doves are not the architects of the bird world.

2015.04.29 First chick appears and his beak is almost as big as his body.
2015.04.30 It is said that the firstborn is the stronger chick.
Mother bird pretending to be injured after flying off the nest. She did this each time I disturbed her to take pictures and it was only about the third time that I realized she was doing this to draw attention to her away from the chicks. Smart mother!
2015.05.03 Eyes not open yet, but feathers are fast growing.
2015.05.05 Eyes open now and feathers growing like weeds.
2015.05.09 In just four days they have become totally feathered and very alert.
2015.05.11 As I took the shot, one flew off the nest and this one followed immediately. They had fledged and never returned to the nest.
We originally planned to have this huge bush cut down, but when I went out to look at it is when I discovered what I had suspected, that a nest was in it and contained the two eggs. Needless to say, we postponed axing the bush until the babies fledged.

This is the nest which defies gravity and form in every direction.
I carefully pulled it out of the bush and it immediately began to fall apart.
This is a shot of the nest turned bottom side up. Amazing!
I do hope you enjoy this short pictorial of these little birds. I am grateful to have been able to follow them through their birth and growth with my camera. I wonder what they thought when this little old lady came to them every two or three days and took pictures??

This is all I have to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment