Saturday, August 28, 2010

Interviews, Books, Pastafina

Saturday, August 28, 2010
I have been fortunate enough to have several radio interviews regarding my book. One was with a psychologist who has a teaching radio blog in New York. We talked for one hour and it was quite interesting. I'm not sure he could figure out where I belonged in his textbook cases, but we had some laughs as well as serious discussion about my book and me.

Another interview was with a gentleman in Halifax, Canada. Apparently, two native Indian girls were drugged and murdered at different times by the same man. These girls were teenagers and one mother found her daughter's body thrown out on the side of the road. The white man who committed these crimes is still free. It is such a tragedy and I think, "there but for the grace of God go I." We talked briefly about my book and he was quite definite about telling everyone listening where they could buy it.

I have now been vetted by Freedom House here in Weatherford and will soon be doing some volunteer work for them. They provide shelter for abused spouses and their children. I still must attend volunteer training, but I'm anxious to get started helping these families in whatever way I can. This is such a wonderful organization. Sadly, organizations like this were not available during the time of all my troubles. Life has changed for the better in the public sphere and I'm proud to be a part of the solution.

Doug and I went to our nearby middle school and did early voting. This is an important measure that we voted on and, if passed, will give schools more money (without increasing taxes) to work with in this coming year. Sure hope everyone gets out to vote.

Have read three new books recently. One is "Apparent Danger" about Rev. J. Frank Norris, a charismatic preacher in Ft. Worth in the early days of it's formation. It reads fast, but I hated the ending. They evidently went to press in a hurry because there are an unusual number of typos, which can be somewhat disconcerting to the reader.

I also read "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert of which there is also a movie out. It is a well written book. I got a little bogged down in the middle section where she really goes into religion in India. This is the "Pray" section of the book. Loved the "Eat" section because it's all about Italy, food and speaking the language. The last section is wonderful and ends just like I thought it would--in a positive manner.

Just finished reading "The Madonnas of Leningrad" by Debra Dean, which is a selection to be discussed in September at our book club meeting. I am so glad this book was recommended because I would never have paid any attention to it simply due to the title. It is a fine piece of writing and it definitely has its sad moments, but once you start reading you simply must finish it. In one way, I find it terrifying and, if you've read my book "The Cherokee Advantage", you'll understand why I feel this way. I don't want to tell you the "why" because it will give too much away and you need to be able to form your own opinion when you read it.

Doug and I went to our favorite Italian restaurant here in Weatherford today, Pastafina. They have the best sauces in the world and they serve such an amount of food that we are able to dine twice for the price because we bring half of it home for the next day. I had Chicken Picatta and Doug had Turkey Tetrazzini. They bring out this wonderful home made bread to munch on while you await your meal. Doug had Minestrone Soup and I had a salad with the house dressing. Mangia! Mangia! They are located at 807 South Main Street in Weatherford.

This is all I have to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment