Thursday, July 7, 2016

2016 Democratic State Convention in Albuquerque, New Mexico

June 25, 2016

One more meeting to go to find out who is going to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania the end of July, 2016. Doug and Carla drove to Albuquerque on Friday, June 24, 2016 and stayed in a motel to make sure they would be at the convention timely.

There was quite a crowd in attendance as you can imagine. Once the Pledge of Allegiance was said and the National Anthem was sung, announcements were made, speeches ensued and Bernie supporters went to a separate room from the Hillary supporters for the voting process. I will say that some of the Bernie supporters were quite rude for no reason. The loud remarks they were making were not regarding anything that could possibly be solved in this setting. One needs to choose their battles carefully to be successful.

Unfortunately, I was not successful in my bid for delegate to the Democratic National Convention, but I met a lot of really nice people and had a great time. Several people told me if they had been voting for the hat, I would have won!

We left right after the convention was over and headed back to Alamogordo in time to attend the play auditions at the Rohovec Theatre on the Hill at NMSU-A.

Carla Kerr just arriving at the convention
Carla in conversation with the "fashion police"
Deb Haaland, Chair of the Democratic Party of New Mexico
Nancy Denker from Bernalillo County, New Mexico with her very well-behaved parrot
Gentleman introducing Deb Haaland
Merrie Lee Soules, Candidate for U.S. Congress from New Mexico Congressional District 2
Remarks by New Mexico State Auditor Tim Keller on behalf of Maggie Toulouse Oliver, candidate for Secretary of State
Guest Remarks from State Senate Majority Leader Michael Sanchez
Joe Kabourek explaining voting procedures
Carla Kerr letting everyone know she is running for delegate to the Democratic National Convention
Carla standing in line waiting to cast her votes
Joe Kabourek (center) holding a ballot, calling out "Kerr" as they count the votes
I'm not saying I wouldn't try this again in four years, but I'm certainly not getting any younger and it will definitely depend on my physical and mental condition. The people I met were wonderful and I had a great time. The excitement was electrifying and makes me want to try it one more time!

Congratulations to Donna Swanson on being elected a delegate for Bernie Sanders. I know she will have a grand time in Philadelphia.

Thanks to Douglas A. Kerr, Photography for all the photos.

This is all I have to say for now.


No comments:

Post a Comment