Monday, September 10, 2012

Various, Red Hatters in Tularosa, NM

Again, I seem to be behind in my posting, but I truly have an excellent explanation. It's called sinus infection/bronchitis and it laid me low for ten days. Am still on antibiotics and cough syrup, but feeling much better and able to cope.

While suffering the throes of returning to active life, I read a few books; It's an eclectic group for sure. They are: "Anthony Burns: The Defeat and Triumph of a Fugitive Slave" by Virginia Hamilton. It is a true story about the last slave to escape to Boston and the trial that ensues to return him to Virginia. Well written and historically interesting; "Haven: The Dramatic Story of 1000 WWII Refugees and How They Came to America" by Ruth Gruber. Another true story concerning President Roosevelt's conscience and his reluctant decision to very quietly invite 1000 refugees (mostly Jewish, but not all) to live in military barracks on a defunct post in Oswego, New York. Fascinating story covering not only their experiences here, but their backgrounds and how they came to be in this situation. Much of this information was Top Secret and it was only when this information was finally made public that the full story could be told. The list of highly successful and contributing professionals to come out of this 1000 is unbelievable. This book is fascinating and heart wrenching; The last one is "Trinity Fields" by Bradford Morrow. This one is a fictionalized story of two young men who were born and raised in Los Alamos during the atomic weapons research and testing. It is a well written book with a tantalizing mystery carried through to the end; I highly recommend all three books. I got them on my trusty Kindle through Amazon.com

While I was lounging in my sick bed, my darling husband bought a new computer for me and set it all up. I heard him tell the UPS man upon delivery, "Hey, Dude. She's getting a Dell." My former computer was at least 13 years old and certainly reacting to its aging. I am so grateful to have this marvelous machine which makes my life much easier.

On August 25, 2012, just before I started getting ill, we had a lovely Red Hat shopping trip and luncheon in Tularosa, New Mexico. New Mexico Roadrunner Chapter joined Queen Mable Vance and her chapterettes of the Tulia Roses chapter of the Red Hat Society for lunch at Casa de Sueños and it was superb. We originally planned to visit Tularosa's newly opened historical museum but when we arrived it was closed up tighter than a drum. I walked next door to the police department to inquire as to when the museum would open and was informed by an officer that it wasn't even open for business yet. I found this interesting since they held their "grand opening" two weeks before. So it shouldn't be a total loss, we decided to go shopping and found several interesting shops.  One of them is Griffins Trading Company on North Central and they buy and sell on consignment. I was looking for antique tea cups and saucers and I found two that I just had to have. The girls found several goodies and by this time we were due to meet Queen Mable and her group at Casa de Sueños.

Some of Queen Mable's Tulie Roses enjoying lunch
L to R: Princess Penny, Lady Winifred of Roadrunner Chapter and a Tulie Rose
Linda Laws and Princess Penny looking at photos on cell phone
Queen Mable in serious conversation
Doesn't everyone look lovely in their Red Hat regalia?
L to R: Linda, Princess Penny, Queen Ladybird and Lady Winifred
I, Queen Ladybird, am dressed in reverse colors because August is my birthday month and we wear purple hats and red ensembles during our birthday month if we so choose. We made plans with the Tulie Roses to have a shared Halloween Party with them and it sounds like it will be a blast. Plans are for a costume contest and a centerpiece contest so everyone should get involved. For this event, guests and husbands are invited, in particular the men, because they are the judges.

This is all I have to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment