Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Santa Fe, New Mexico Trip

On Sunday, June 17, 2012, Doug and I drove to Santa Fe, NM because I had a doctor's appointment the next day. It is about a four hour drive from Alamogordo and for the most part the roads are good. There is some highway construction and at one point, out in the middle of nowhere, there was a traffic signal because the highway had been shrunk down to one lane. You must wait for the light to turn green before proceeding. Evidently, a guy on the other end got antsy and ran the light. When he saw us as well as other vehicles, he pulled off on the shoulder to let everyone pass. His face was an interesting shade of red! Once we checked in at the Super 8 Motel (actually nicely decorated in a Southwestern theme with a well appointed room), we decided to take a drive to the Nambé Pueblo (an Indian village style of living inNew Mexico). Doug was ready with his camera.

Some interesting rock formations in the Nambé Pueblo

We actually drove there to see the waterfalls, but they are only open Thursday through Saturday. On our return to Santa Fe, we stopped to look at "Camel Rock" and found a little friend.

Carla with the camel

Doug with the camel

I named him Stumpy because someone or something had grabbed his tail.  

We drove back into Santa Fe and decided to dine at Outback Steak House. Some of the kids had given us gift cards to this establishment at one time or another. There is no Outback in Alamogordo so we decided to take advantage of being close to one. Being Father's Day, it was busy and we were asked if we would like to sit in a booth at the bar. Good decision. Great place for people watching, right near the door and the food was great. We started out with one of their famous blooming onions; Doug had steak and a fully dressed baked potato and I had a half slab of baby back ribs and fries. We were waddling by the time we consumed all that food and didn't even have room for dessert!

My doctor's appointment wasn't until 1:30 p.m. on Monday so we decided to drive to downtown Santa Fe and went to the Museum of Contemporary Native Arts. I was pleasantly surprised when the lady at the counter told me I would not be charged the entrance fee because I am a citizen of the Cherokee Nation. We saw some lovely creations, some of which Doug photographed for your enjoyment.

Buffalo Sculpture by: Frank Buffalo Hyde
Beautiful necklace titled: A Stone and a Prayer for Mother Earth by: Fritz Casuse

Dreaming of  Sculptures to Make by: Roxanne Swotsell
After touring all of the galleries, we went outside to view still more exquisite creations.

Water Carrier by: Allan Houser

Carla is standing inside this maze titled "Edges of the Ephemeral" by: Anna Tsouhlarakis
Metal sculpture titled "Spirit of the Wind" by Allan Houser

View of the Allan Houser Art Park along with some Santa Fe architecture outside the walls
This is a downtown parking garage-just exquisite!

I went to my doctor appointment and am relieved to be able to say that there is no evidence of any recurrence of tongue cancer. He told me to come back in a year for a check up. On the drive home, we stopped at the world famous Clines Corner for lunch. This place started doing business in 1934 and is on the renowned Route 66. The food was surprisingly good and while we were eating we were treated to viewing a couple of barn swallows feeding their young in a nest up under the overhang.

As we came through Carizzozo, NM, we were able to see the smoke billowing up to the sky in the mountains from the Little Bear fire. We are fortunate in that we've only had smoke blow our way.

Little Bear fire

New Mexico truly is the "Land of Enchantment" and any drive you make in any direction is never boring. Next Monday, we leave on our longest drive yet, to the Grand Canyon and then on to Las Vegas for the International Red Hat Convention at the Paris Hotel.

This is all I have to say for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment